How is a duplex kidney treated?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
No treatment is needed. There is no harm to the kidney, though some people with duplex kidneys are more prone to urinary infections, reflux and blockages of the urinary tract.

The kidneys filter the blood and move waste into the urine. Urine forms in the kidneys and flows into the ureters. These are tubes that drain urine into the bladder.

When the kidneys and collection system form as a fetus is growing, there can be a duplicate or extra-set of connections. These usually do not show any symptoms. They would show up on a scan (such as an ultrasound) as an "extra" or duplicate collecting system.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease and Urology

What Your Urine Says About Your Health
What Your Urine Says About Your Health
Clear as urine. That’s not the expression, but perhaps it should be, at least when urine is healthy. Perfectly normal urine tends to be a pale, straw ...
Why does it hurt when I urinate with a ureteral stent?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
When you urinate with a ureteral stent, some discomfort, such as mild soreness or pressure (before u...
When should I call my doctor if I have nephrotic syndrome?
If you have nephrotic syndrome (a group of symptoms caused by kidney damage), you should call your d...
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?