What is an intracranial hemorrhage?

Intracranial hemorrhage is a type of hemorrhagic stroke which is caused by bleeding in or around the membranes that cover the brain. Intracranial hemorrhage accounts for about 30% of all hemorrhagic strokes.

Intracranial hemorrhage is bleeding inside the skull, either in the brain itself or in the space separating the brain and the skull. The most common cause of this condition is an injury to the head. One or more blood vessels in the brain break and cause swelling that presses against the brain causing brain damage. The condition usually comes on quickly and symptoms present themselves within minutes. Intracranial hemorrhage can cause paralysis; difficulty speaking; or even death.

Continue Learning about Intracranial Hemorrhage

Are there alternative treatments for intracranial hemorrhage?
There are no known alternative treatments for intracranial hemorrhage. However, some individuals rec...
What are subdural and epidural hemorrhage?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Subdural and epidural hemorrhage are types of intracranial hemorrhage that result when blood leakage...
Should I talk to my doctor about my intracranial hemorrhage symptoms?
Intracranial hemorrhage is a serious condition that can be fatal. Emergency medical treatment is usu...
What increases my risk for intracranial hemorrhage?
Since severe head injuries are the most common cause of intracranial hemorrhage, observing safety me...