Is interstitial cystitis the same as a bladder infection?

Interstitial cystitis, sometimes referred to as painful bladder syndrome, affects approximately one million people in America each year. Although symptoms resemble chronic bladder infections, bacteria are not usually the cause of intersitital cystitis. Symptoms vary widely and some people experience remission from time to time. Many of the tests for interstitial cystitis are similar to those for bladder infections, but treatment is determined by the root cause of the syndrome.

Continue Learning about Interstitial Cystitis (Painful Bladder Syndrome)

If I have IC/PBS, does it mean I have cancer?
IC/PBS is not the same as cancer. Researchers have found no evidence that IC/PBS is associated with ...
What are researchers discovering about IC/PBS?
Researchers are working on learning the causes of interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome. So...
What is interstitial cystitis?
St. Petersburg General HospitalSt. Petersburg General Hospital
Interstitial cystitis is a condition which is associated with pelvic pain and incontinence.
What causes interstitial cystitis?
Dr. William B. Salt, MDDr. William B. Salt, MD
Interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome is one of many functional symptom syndromes, composed...