What is regular insulin for diabetes?

Regular insulin starts working a half hour after you take a shot. It works hardest from 2 to 3 hours after your shot and stays in your blood from 3 to 6 hours.
Gary Scheiner
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Regular or "R" insulin is an older form of mealtime insulin. It does not work as quickly as the rapid-acting insulin analogs (lispro, aspart, glulisine) that are commonly used today. Hence, blood sugar levels tend to spike quite high and then drop quickly a few hours later. 

Of note, certain brands of Regular insulin (Humulin R, Novolin R) are structurally identical to human insulin and are less likely to cause allergic responses at the injection site compared to rapid-acting insulin analogs. Regular insulin is sometimes also used by those with impaired digestion (gastroparesis) to provide a better match of the insulin's peak to food's digestion.

Continue Learning about Insulin

What You Need to Know About Insulin
What You Need to Know About Insulin
Watch Darria Long-Gillespie, SVP of Clinical Strategy with Sharecare, explain why insulin is one of the most important hormones in the human body, and...
How do I prepare a mixed insulin injection?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
To prepare a mixed insulin injection, follow these steps:Be clear on the amounts of each insulin and...
Why do I have high blood glucose levels after meals if I am on insulin?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
High blood glucose levels after meals are a very common and frustrating problem for insulin users, e...
Why Should I Avoid Foods Made with White Flour?