What should I check before using insulin to treat my diabetes?

If you use regular, check for particles or discoloration of the insulin. If you use neutral protamine Hagedorn (NPH) or lente, check for "frosting" or crystals in the insulin on the inside of the bottle or for small particles or clumps in the insulin. If you find any of these in your insulin, do not use it, and return the unopened bottle to the pharmacy for an exchange and/or refund.

Continue Learning about Insulin

What You Need to Know About Insulin
What You Need to Know About Insulin
Watch Darria Long-Gillespie, SVP of Clinical Strategy with Sharecare, explain why insulin is one of the most important hormones in the human body, and...
How do I best split the doses of my insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
It may take a little experimenting and consulting with your health care team to figure out how to be...
What is ultralente insulin?
Ultralente insulin is a long-acting insulin. On average, ultralente insulin starts to lower blood gl...
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Will I Eventually Have to Take Insulin?