Will an insulin pump alert me if it isn’t working properly?

The pump is a marvel of technology:

• It beeps if clogged.

• It lets you know when the batteries run low.

• It has dosage limits to stop an accidental overdose.

• You can program it to change the amount of insulin pumped to match your metabolism.

However, insulin pumps are not foolproof. Although they will alert you when a clog stops the flow of insulin, they will not identify a slow flow. Even if you are using an insulin pump, you will still need to monitor your blood glucose frequently.

Continue Learning about Insulin Pumps

Should I let my doctor know I’m using insulin pump supplies?
Insulin pump supplies cannot be used without your doctor's knowledge. You must undergo a surgica...
What is an infusion set for diabetes treatment?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
An infusion set for diabetes treatment is a small I.V.-like catheter that is worn subcutaneously and...
What Is an Insulin Pump, and How Do I Know If I Need One?
Can an Artificial Pancreas Treat Type 1 Diabetes?