What are the side effects of insulin pump supplies?

Although insulin pump supplies may make it easier for you to control your blood sugar levels, there are some side effects associated with them. If your pump gets disconnected from your body, you are at risk for developing diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition that occurs when your body does not receive insulin for hours, and your blood sugar levels move too far away from your ideal target. On the other hand, if your pump delivers too much insulin, you can suffer from low blood sugar. Using insulin pump supplies may also cause you to gain weight. The area where the pump is connected can be very sensitive, and physical contact there can be very painful. You should be cautious when engaging in an activity such as sports that may cause injury to the area. Furthermore, you can develop a skin reaction or infection where the needle is inserted into your body. Like with any surgery, there are risks associated with having the needle insertion site created on your body. You should discuss your medical history with your doctor to determine if using an insulin pump is right for you.

Continue Learning about Insulin Pumps

What is an infusion set for diabetes treatment?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
An infusion set for diabetes treatment is a small I.V.-like catheter that is worn subcutaneously and...
Should I let my doctor know I’m using insulin pump supplies?
Insulin pump supplies cannot be used without your doctor's knowledge. You must undergo a surgica...
Can an Artificial Pancreas Treat Type 1 Diabetes?
What Is an Insulin Pump, and How Do I Know If I Need One?