How can I treat insect bites at home?

The following procedure can treat most minor bites and stings at home:
  • Place an ice or a cold pack onto the bitten or stung area.
  • Carefully remove any stinger in the skin.
  • Remove the stinger from the bottom with tweezers or scrape the stinger out from the skin with a credit card or nail file, being careful not to squeeze the top of the stinger (venom sacks) to prevent more venom entering the skin.
  • Take an antihistamine such as Benadryl if itch develops -- this medication causes drowsiness, so you should not drive or do dangerous activities after you take the pill.
  • Apply to the bite or sting hydrocortisone cream, calamine lotion or a baking soda paste.
  • Apply to the affected area a gel or a lotion containing at least 80% aloe vera.

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
Where should I look for bed begs in clothing at the mall?
Before you pick up a new piece of clothing at the mall, remember: you’re not the first person to tou...
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
Learn why some people are more susceptible to mosquito bites.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?