Insect Bites

How do I know if my insect bite is infected?

• ADr. Paul T. David, MD, Emergency Medicine, answered on behalf of Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center
    How Do I Know If My Insect Bite Is Infected?
    After an insect bite, sometimes there is inflammation. In this video, I will describe the symptoms of an infected bug bite.
  • An insect bite that doesn't heal or gets worse could be infected. In general, an insect bite will develop the same symptoms as any other infection. If the redness or swelling increases instead of decreases, the area feels hot or painful to the touch, or it has pus, your insect bite may be infected. If you suspect an infection, you should seek medical treatment.

How are insect bites diagnosed?