How serious can insect bites be?

In general, the bites themselves are not serious. However, in some rare cases, people can have a severe reaction. This can be very serious and requires immediate medical treatment. In addition, the insects that bite can also be carrying serious diseases, such as malaria or West Nile virus. If your insect bite symptoms progress beyond the minor annoyance of an itchy bump, see a doctor.

The large majority of insect bites are not serious, causing only local irritation and redness. Unfortunately, some bugs can cause bigger problems. Examples include ticks that cause Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Lyme disease. Mosquitos can cause encephalitis or even malaria in certain areas. Be aware if you live in the areas that have these insects and check out any bite that goes beyond warmth, itching and color change.

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
How do I dispose of an item that is infested with bedbugs?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Any item of furniture that is infested, please dispose of it properly. If you place it out on th...
Insect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to Worry
Insect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to Worry
Learn about what you can do to protect yourself from different types of insect bites and stings -- and get quick tips on to do you’re bitten.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?