How can I prevent ingrown toenails?

James P. Ioli, DPM
Podiatric Medicine
The easiest way to prevent an ingrown toenail is to cut your nails straight across, rather than rounding off the corners (as you would with your fingernails). Use a toenail clipper (which is wider and larger than a fingernail clipper) or, if you use scissors, cut the nail in several short movements. Also, clean under your nails regularly. Wear shoes that provide enough room at the toes, and wear stockings or socks that allow your toes to move freely.
You can prevent ingrown toenails by avoiding wearing shoes that are too small or that pinch your toes (a common culprit of ingrown toenails) and by trimming your nails straight across, rounding the edges of the nails only slightly if at all. Some people, however, are simply born with a tendency to develop ingrown toenails. If you have an ingrown toenail, talk with your doctor about how to treat it before it leads to infection.
To help prevent ingrown toenails:
  • Wear shoes that fit well.
  • Cut toenails straight across the top. Don't cut them too short.
  • Keep your feet clean and dry.
  • If you have diabetes, go to the doctor or clinic for foot checkups at least once a year.
If you have trouble cutting your toenails yourself, you may need to go more often. You may also need to see a special foot doctor called a podiatrist.

Continue Learning about Ingrown Nails

What are ingrown nails?
Ingrown nails are what can happen when a toenail or fingernail grows into the flesh on the side of t...
What causes ingrown toenails?
There are three major causes of ingrown toenails.  Learn more about ingrown toenails in this vid...
What Can I Do to Avoid Ingrown Nails?
What Can I Do to Avoid Ingrown Nails?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?