What questions should I ask my doctor about infertility?

Review the following questions about infertility so you're prepared to discuss this important health issue with your healthcare provider:

• Are you board certified? Are you an OB/GYN? Are you trained in reproductive endocrinology and infertility?
  • How long should my partner and I try to get pregnant before seeing a specialist?
  • At what time of month am I most fertile?
  • How can I tell when I'm ovulating?
  • Should my partner be evaluated?
  • What kinds of tests will you perform?
  • How much will these tests and treatments cost?
  • What is the likelihood that the treatment you're recommending will result in pregnancy? What is the likelihood that an alternative option will result in pregnancy?
  • What is the next step if the treatment fails?
  • What other treatments should we consider?
  • What are the risks (short- and long-term) of the treatment you are prescribing? What is the risk for multiples and how do we limit this risk?
  • I need to talk to someone about my feelings and my partner's feelings about infertility. Is there a support group or a counselor you can refer us to?

If you haven't gotten pregnant but you've been trying for less than a year, you probably don't need to see a doctor. However, if you've been having frequent unprotected sex for over a year and haven't gotten pregnant, it's a good idea to talk to a doctor and ask them about infertility. In certain cases, it's recommended that couples see a doctor earlier. For instance, if you have a family or personal history of reproductive issues, or if you're a woman older than 30, it might be a good idea to see your doctor to talk about fertility options.

Most couples are able to get pregnant within the first year or two of trying. However, fertility can decline with increasing age. It is important to inform your doctor that you are trying to get pregnant, as your doctor may be able to give you advice on increasing your chances of getting pregnant. Your doctor can also start some investigations and labs if needed.

Continue Learning about Infertility

Talking to Your Doctor About Infertility
When it comes to making a baby, there are many things that can affect fertility such as poor egg quantity, sperm malformation and gynecologic diseases...
How long should I wait before seeing a fertility specialist for pregnancy?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
If you've experienced the following events, it is recommended that you schedule an appointment with ...
Infertility Intervention
Infertility InterventionInfertility InterventionInfertility InterventionInfertility Intervention
Find out if you’re having infertility problems with this guide.
When Do a Majority of Miscarriages Occur?