What are the different types of germs?

There are four main types of germs. Different germs cause different types of infections. Other names for germs are bugs, or microbes, because they’re so tiny they can only be seen by looking through a microscope. The four main types of germs include:

• Bacteria: Cause infections like pneumonia and tuberculosis.
  • Viruses: Cause infections like measles and HIV.
  • Fungi: Cause infections like athlete's foot.
  • Parasites: Cause infections like malaria.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Ask Oz and Roizen: Cleaning Pacifiers and a More Effective Shingles Vaccine
Q: My one-year-old daughter occasionally drops her pacifier on the ground. I just clean it off in my mouth and hand it back to her. My mom says that’s...
What are the treatment options for sepsis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The first treatment given to someone with sepsis is always wide spectrum antibiotics, even before th...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
Why Can't We Develop Just One Drug to Combat Malaria?