Is radiation poisoning serious?

Radiation poisoning is a life-threatening illness that requires close supervision and treatment by experienced medical professionals. Symptoms may include skin wounds, gastrointestinal symptoms, bleeding, infections, seizures and coma. Depending on the dose of radiation and which body systems are affected, a person can die within minutes to weeks. Those that survive are at higher risk of cancer during their lifetime.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Radiation Poisoning On The Body

How does radiation poisoning affect my thyroid?
The thyroid gland is responsible for making hormones that control the body's metabolism. The thyroid...
How does radiation poisoning affect the body?
Radiation poisoning is caused by exposure to massive amounts of ionizing radiation over a brief peri...
How radiation poisoning affect my skin?
The cutaneous syndrome is a term used to describe the effects of radiation poisoning on the skin. In...
Does radiation poisoning cause birth defects?
The high dose of radiation exposure that causes radiation poisoning can lead to birth defects. There...