Q

Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Why should I quit smoking if I'm pregnant?

• A Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of
    If you’re thinking about having a baby -- or if you’re pregnant right now -- you have even more good reasons to quit:

• Lower your chances of having a miscarriage or serious problems with your pregnancy. When you smoke, you breathe in carbon monoxide -- the same gas that comes out of your car’s tailpipe.

• Increase the chance that your baby will be born healthy.
    The earlier you quit, the better for your baby. Yet even later in a pregnancy, you can lower the risk to your baby by stopping smoking.

• Lower your baby’s risk of dying from SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). Women who smoke during and after pregnancy also put their babies at a higher risk of asthma and infections.
  • A answered
    If you smoke, ask your healthcare professional for help quitting. Tobacco deprives your baby of oxygen during pregnancy and causes low birth weight and increased respiratory and ear infections in infants and young children.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Does smoking affect women's hearts the same as men's?