Why should I quit smoking if I'm pregnant?

HealthyWomen
Administration
If you smoke, ask your healthcare professional for help quitting. Tobacco deprives your baby of oxygen during pregnancy and causes low birth weight and increased respiratory and ear infections in infants and young children.
If you’re thinking about having a baby -- or if you’re pregnant right now -- you have even more good reasons to quit:

• Lower your chances of having a miscarriage or serious problems with your pregnancy. When you smoke, you breathe in carbon monoxide -- the same gas that comes out of your car’s tailpipe.

• Increase the chance that your baby will be born healthy.
The earlier you quit, the better for your baby. Yet even later in a pregnancy, you can lower the risk to your baby by stopping smoking.

• Lower your baby’s risk of dying from SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). Women who smoke during and after pregnancy also put their babies at a higher risk of asthma and infections.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Nicotine addiction is just as strong as addiction to alcohol or cocaine, and it causes changes in the brain that make you crave nicotine even more. Once inhaled into the lungs through smoke, nicotine is absorbed into the bloodstre...

am and carried throughout your body. Nicotine can affect the heart, blood vessels, hormones and brain function. Learn more from our experts about how to overcome it.