What is an autoimmune response?

When your immune system cells start attacking your body's own healthy tissue just as if it were a foreign invader, like a bacteria or virus, it can lead to a whole host of illnesses-and some can be very serious. This dangerous friendly fire is called an autoimmune response.

Why does it happen? Sometimes your immune system gets tricked. A portion of the bacteria or virus may look just a little too similar to something else in your body-say, your heart cells. So your immune system cells may kill the bacteria or virus, but then also mistakenly begin attacking and destroying your own heart cells-which you obviously dearly need.

I'm just using your heart cells as an example; many organs and tissues are vulnerable to an autoimmune response-which is a mistaken assault by the very defense system that was designed to protect them. Autoimmune diseases include lupus, inflammatory bowel syndrome, and rheumatoid arthritis. In the worst cases, autoimmune diseases can lead to organ failure or irreversible tissue damage.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Immune System

Increase Your Fitness, Reduce Your Risk for Serious Diseases
If you’re one of the millions of Americans who have gotten the message, “Stand up, move, walk, play, get active,” congratulations! Back in 2011 the CD...
How does bone marrow relate to the immune system?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
Our immune system's foundation is the bone marrow because it makes white blood cells.
What happens when the immune system malfunctions?
Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDDr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Occasionally the immune system goes completely haywire. In the diseases rheumatoid arthritis and lup...
Are There Natural Remedies I Can Use to Boost My Immune System?