What are the treatments for primary immunodeficiency (PID)?

There are different types of treatments for primary immunodeficiency (PID), but they all work by helping the immune system deal with germs. People may need to take antibiotics, which help get rid of germs, every day to prevent an infection in the first place. Another treatment is called immunoglobulin therapy. This contains the antibiodies that might be missing from the immune system. People get the treatment as an injection under the skin at home, or through a tube that goes straight into the bloodstream at the hospital. In some cases, a doctor may recommend a stem cell transplant. People might also have vaccinations and immunizations as a way of training the immune system to deal with infections.

Continue Learning about Immune System

Kick Immunity into High Gear with a Kicky Song
Ever catch yourself humming that old Broadway tune "Everything's Coming Up Roses"? Maybe you should give it a try sometime. Your immune system may tha...
What can I do to strengthen my immune system?
Keeping your immune system strong, is one of the most important things you can do to stay healthy. A...
What is the role of lymph in my body?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Lymph helps to destroy potentially dangerous bacteria and cancer cells and filter waste and toxins. ...
Can I Improve My Immune Cells to Fight Cancer?