What happens when the immune system malfunctions?

Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergist & Immunologist

Occasionally the immune system goes completely haywire. In the diseases rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, for example, the immune system attacks healthy tissue in the joints and organs. The resulting chronic inflammation can be progressively disfiguring, crippling, and deadly.

Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

When the immune system malfunctions and gets confused, it mistakes normal body cells for invaders (like germs or viruses) and starts attacking them. When the immune system attacks normal body cells, it causes a lot of problems in the body.

Continue Learning about Immune System

Kick Immunity into High Gear with a Kicky Song
Ever catch yourself humming that old Broadway tune "Everything's Coming Up Roses"? Maybe you should give it a try sometime. Your immune system may tha...
If I keep my house too clean, will it weaken my child's immune system?
Theoretically, yes. But practically and realistically, no. This misconception began circulating some...
How does our immune system work against a foreign body?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
The immune system is the body's protection against invasion of antigens such as bacteria, viruses, p...
What Are the Health Benefits of Phytochemicals?