What happens when the immune system malfunctions?

Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergist & Immunologist

Occasionally the immune system goes completely haywire. In the diseases rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, for example, the immune system attacks healthy tissue in the joints and organs. The resulting chronic inflammation can be progressively disfiguring, crippling, and deadly.

Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

When the immune system malfunctions and gets confused, it mistakes normal body cells for invaders (like germs or viruses) and starts attacking them. When the immune system attacks normal body cells, it causes a lot of problems in the body.

Continue Learning about Immune System

3 Ways to Boost Your Immune System as You Age
Your immune system is challenged as you age: Your disease-fighting cells declines. Your innate immunity changes—that’s protection provided by your ski...
What is adaptive immunity?
Adaptive immunity is the body's response to specific invaders (antigens) such as viruses or bacteria...
What is transcervical thymectomy?
Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDLyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Transcervical thymectomy is a minimally invasive procedure in which the thymus is removed throug...
Are There Natural Remedies I Can Use to Boost My Immune System?