What happens during photopheresis?

Photopheresis takes place in the hospital. During photopheresis people may lie on a bed or sit in a chair. A nurse attaches a thin tube to a line that has been placed in the chest. The other end of the tube is connected to the photopheresis machine. Photopheresis treatment takes a few hours, but people can relax, read, watch TV, or listen to music while it's working. Once it's finished, people can leave the hospital.

Continue Learning about Immune System

Increase Your Fitness, Reduce Your Risk for Serious Diseases
If you’re one of the millions of Americans who have gotten the message, “Stand up, move, walk, play, get active,” congratulations! Back in 2011 the CD...
What are the risks of donating bone marrow?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
When bone marrow is drawn from the body, there is a risk of anemia and a small chance of infection. ...
What is the function of the immune system?
Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDDr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
The ability to distinguish things that belong in your body from those that don't is the basis of the...
Can I Improve My Immune Cells to Fight Cancer?