How does the immune system fight viruses?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
A strategy of the innate immune system involves the presence of virus-detecting proteins inside cells. The detection of a virus causes the cell to release antiviral proteins known as interferons. The interferons attach themselves to neighboring uninfected cells. This attachment causes those cells to become resistant to a viral onslaught, providing some short-term, local protection. The name provides the clue to function: interferons interfere with the progress of viral advance.

In addition, the cells of animals and humans infected by a virus have a "suicide" program called apoptosis, or programmed cell death. A cell that is invaded by a virus can self-destruct, thereby preventing the virus from reproducing inside the cell and spreading to other cells. But some viruses have learned how to outsmart programmed cell death and prolong cell life.

Continue Learning about Immune System

Increase Your Fitness, Reduce Your Risk for Serious Diseases
If you’re one of the millions of Americans who have gotten the message, “Stand up, move, walk, play, get active,” congratulations! Back in 2011 the CD...
How can I build up my immune system if I am at school?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
Having a strong immune system will help your body fight off infections more effectively. Getting eno...
Can a child receive bone marrow from a relative?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
You can use a relative, an unrelated volunteer donor, or umbilical cord blood in a bone marrow trans...
What Is the Medicinal Value of Mushrooms?