Garlic enhances immune response in cells in the laboratory. At low-to-moderate doses, one of the compounds formed when garlic is heated, diallyl trisulfide, appears to make certain cells of the immune system more active against cancer cells.
Similar results were obtained by another study, which conclude that extracts from aged garlic are powerful enhancers of immune response. This activation may also contribute to the ability of garlic to fight infections.
- Q How does yogurt help the immune system?
- Q What dietary practices impair the immune system?
- Q Are there foods that can fight off infections?
- Q How does butternut squash support my immune system?
- Q What nutrients boost the immune system?
- Q What foods can help my immune system?