How does bone marrow relate to the immune system?

Our immune system's foundation is the bone marrow because it makes white blood cells.

Dr. Brad J. Spellberg, MD
Infectious Disease Specialist

The bone marrow is the site of production of all blood cells, including white blood cells.  White blood cells are what defend our bodies from infections.  So, if the bone marrow does not work right, and white cells are not produced in adequate numbers or with normal function, the body becomes at risk for infection.

Continue Learning about Immune System

3 Ways to Boost Your Immune System as You Age
Your immune system is challenged as you age: Your disease-fighting cells declines. Your innate immunity changes—that’s protection provided by your ski...
What is immunosenescence?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Researchers suggest that with age, the immune system loses some of its firepower in a process kn...
What is the lymphatic system?
The lymphatic system is a major part of your immune system comprising organs, lymph nodes, lymph duc...
Are There Natural Remedies I Can Use to Boost My Immune System?