What causes granulomatosis with polyangiitis?

Doctors and scientists do not yet know the cause of granulomatosis with polyangiitis (GPA), formerly known as Wegener's granulomatosis. Some believe that the disease is caused by an infection that results in the characteristic inflamed blood vessels and harmful tissues (called granulomas). Others speculate that genetics or exposure to toxins causes the disease. Research into the cause of the condition is ongoing.

Continue Learning about Immune & Lymphatic System Disorders

How common are immune system defects?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
You can be born with an immunodeficiency; you can also acquire one. Although exact numbers are n...
How can I manage my life now that I have an autoimmune disease?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Although there is no cure for autoimmune diseases, you can treat your symptoms and learn to manage y...
Should I consider a thymectomy for my myasthenia gravis?
The thymus gland is believed to play a key role in the development of myasthenia gravis. Surgically ...
What Is Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric OCD?