Should I talk to a doctor about my hypotonia symptoms?

If you or your child is experiencing symptoms of hypotonia, or low muscle tone, it's best to talk with your doctor. In babies, symptoms of hypotonia usually include limp limbs and poor neck and head control, resulting in a "floppy baby" or "rag doll" quality. Other symptoms in children may include lack of coordination and balance, difficulty walking, and difficulty breathing. In adults, symptoms may include slow reflexes, mobility and posture issues, and general lethargy, among others. Since hypotonia can have so many underlying causes, it's important to see a doctor if you're experiencing any of these symptoms so that the doctor can diagnose and treat your condition as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Hypotonia (Low Muscle Tone)

Is hypotonia life-threatening?
On its own, hypotonia itself usually isn't life-threatening. If hypotonia causes problems breathing ...
Are there alternative treatments for hypotonia?
Treatment for hypotonia-including alternative treatment-usually depends on the underlying condition ...
Can hypotonia be prevented?
Because hypotonia may be caused by a wide variety of conditions ranging from genetic neurological di...
What are the symptoms of hypotonia?
Hypotonia is itself a symptom-it's low muscle tone that may be caused by a variety of disorders or i...