What are symptoms of hypothyroidism in a child?

Some of the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism include the following:

• dry skin and hair
  • weight gain
  • achy muscles
  • fatigue
  • irritability

Speak to your child’s pediatrician if you are concerned about your child having these symptoms.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Hypothyroidism

I’m Tired All the Time – Is That Normal?
Do you often feel exhausted with more than your run-of-the-mill fatigue? Hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid, may be to blame. We talked to endocri...
What can be the consequences of misdiagnosing hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism is an underactive thyroid gland that doesn't produce enough thyroid hormone. Misdiagn...
What causes hypothyroidism?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
There are many different causes of an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). These include problems w...
What Are Some Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?