How do I manage hypothyroidism on a daily basis?

In nearly every case, hypothyroidism is treated by taking synthetic thyroid hormone every day. When taken as prescribed, the symptoms of this condition usually are completely controlled. Treatment typically brings all the body's metabolic functions back to normal, and overall health and well-being improve.

The best way to manage hypothyroidism on a daily basis is to take your thyroid replacement medication as prescribed. Maintaining good followup with your doctor is important, as well as periodic monitoring of thyroid function labs.

Continue Learning about Hypothyroidism

I’m Tired All the Time – Is That Normal?
Do you often feel exhausted with more than your run-of-the-mill fatigue? Hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid, may be to blame. We talked to endocri...
How do medications treat hypothyroidism?
Dr. Marina JohnsonDr. Marina Johnson
Levothyroxine, also called T4, is the main hormone produced by the thyroid gland. T4 is a storage fo...
What is subclinical hypothyroidism?
Subclinical hypothyroidism means that blood tests indicate hypothyroidism by the presence of high le...
What Causes Hypothyroidism?
What Causes Hypothyroidism?