What should I do to be prepared for a hypoglycemia reaction?

You’re best prepared for low blood glucose if you carry around a measured amount (15 grams) of “pocket carbohydrate.” The easiest and most convenient fast-acting carbohydrate is found in glucose tablets or gel, which comes in a variety of flavors. Check the annual Diabetes Forecast Consumer Guide for a list of current over-the-counter products for treating low blood glucose. Usually, two to five glucose tablets or one package of glucose gel will bring quick relief, but check the instructions and dosing on the package to make sure. You should wear medical identification that you have diabetes such as an ID bracelet. Identification cards can also be requested free from the American Diabetes Association’s Center for Information and Community.

Continue Learning about Hypoglycemia

Feeling Low? Take Control of Hypoglycemia
Many people experience hypoglycemia without realizing it. Often, they eat their next light snack or meal, and their blood sugar returns to normal. Not...
Can my blood sugar drop after exercise?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Depending on the intensity and duration of your activity, you can burn glucose for up to 24 hour...
As a teacher, how can I spot low blood sugar in a child with diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A concern during school time is that a child with diabetes may develop hypoglycemia (his blood gluco...
Do You Know the Signs of Hypoglycemia?
Do You Know the Signs of Hypoglycemia?