What are the complications of hypoglycemia?

Untreated, hypoglycemia may become severe. Severe hypoglycemia occurs when blood sugar is dangerously low. The brain, like other parts of the body, needs fuel to function properly. This fuel is glucose, a type of sugar. When blood sugar is so low that the brain cannot get the fuel it needs, it stops functioning correctly. This causes complications. This causes complications, such as loss of consciousness, seizures, or death.

The complications of hypoglycemia include dizziness, nausea, cold sweats, a fast heart rate, confusion, headache, irritability, coma, and possibly even death.

Continue Learning about Hypoglycemia Complications

How does moderate hypoglycemia affect the body?
Hypoglycemia refers to blood sugar levels that drop below the normal range. When blood sugar becomes...
How can blood sugar changes affect my mood if I have diabetes?
Bob GreeneBob Greene
One source of emotional stability is good blood sugar control; levels that are in the healthy range ...
How does hypoglycemia affect the body?
How does mild hypoglycemia affect the body?