What are the complications of hypoglycemia?

The complications of hypoglycemia include dizziness, nausea, cold sweats, a fast heart rate, confusion, headache, irritability, coma, and possibly even death.
Untreated, hypoglycemia may become severe. Severe hypoglycemia occurs when blood sugar is dangerously low. The brain, like other parts of the body, needs fuel to function properly. This fuel is glucose, a type of sugar. When blood sugar is so low that the brain cannot get the fuel it needs, it stops functioning correctly. This causes complications. This causes complications, such as loss of consciousness, seizures, or death.

Continue Learning about Hypoglycemia Complications

How does moderate hypoglycemia affect the body?
Hypoglycemia refers to blood sugar levels that drop below the normal range. When blood sugar becomes...
How can blood sugar changes affect my mood if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You can have emotional changes with high and low blood glucose. When blood glucose is high, you ...
What are the complications of severe hypoglycemia?
Severe hypoglycemia occurs when blood sugar is dangerously low. The brain, like other parts of the b...
What if hypoglycemia goes untreated?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
If left untreated, hypoglycemia may lead to confusion, a seizure or unconsciousness (passing out, a ...