How does congenital hydrocephalus affect the body?

When a baby is born with congenital hydrocephalus, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), which is a fluid that is necessary for the normal functioning of the brain and spinal cord, builds up in the baby's brain because it is not flowing normally or is being overproduced by the baby's body. The CSF normally flows through the ventricular system in the brain, which is a series of four interconnected spaces called ventricles. Congenital hydrocephalus causes too much CSF to accumulate in the ventricles, often because of an obstruction that affects the flow of CSF. This can cause the ventricles to swell and put pressure on the rest of the brain. This pressure can cause brain damage and other complications.

Continue Learning about Hydrocephalus Symptoms

Should I talk to my doctor about my hydrocephalus symptoms?
If you suspect that you have hydrocephalus symptoms, see your doctor immediately. Hydrocephalus is b...
Should I talk to a doctor about my acquired hydrocephalus symptoms?
The symptoms of acquired hydrocephalus vary, depending on age. If your baby is vomiting frequent...
What are the symptoms of normal pressure hydrocephalus?
Amen Clinics, Inc.Amen Clinics, Inc.
Common symptoms of normal pressure hydrocephalus are: Difficulty with walking Slowed movements...
What are the symptoms of congenital hydrocephalus?
The most noticeable symptom in babies born with congenital hydrocephalus is a head that is unusually...