Why is gratitude powerful?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education

When we recognize the sacred in the mundane, we allow gratitude to enter our lives. Gratitude has always been for me one of the most powerful and least practiced emotions. Living in a state of gratitude is living in a state of grace. Gratitude is a central theme in most major religious traditions. According to Greek Orthodox tradition, the role of humankind is to reflect the glory of creation back to the creator. The Russian Orthodox priest Saint John of Kronstadt said, “If I do not feel a sense of joy in God's creation, if I forget to offer the world back to God with thankfulness, I have advanced very little upon the way. I have not yet learned to be truly human. For it is only through thanksgiving that I can become myself.”

Gratitude can be the gateway to grace, animating our life with meaning. “What a wonderful life I've had!” the French writer Colette said. “I only wish I'd realized it sooner.”  Choosing to evolve is about realizing it sooner -- and about manifesting that realization in every aspect of our lives.

Continue Learning about Emotions

Combat Feeling Sad with a Good Memory
Combat Feeling Sad with a Good Memory
Do you ever find yourself feeling sad but don't know exactly why? Tempted to just brush past it? Well, don't. Understanding the source of your sadness...
What is the difference between worry and obsession?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Watch as Dr. Koran of Stanford Medical School discusses the difference between worry and obsession i...
What should I do if I fear hurting people's feelings?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
It isn’t possible to write about guilt without touching on the issue of hurt feelings, so you have a...
What Are the Physical Effects of Anger?
What Are the Physical Effects of Anger?