Why is gratitude powerful?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education

When we recognize the sacred in the mundane, we allow gratitude to enter our lives. Gratitude has always been for me one of the most powerful and least practiced emotions. Living in a state of gratitude is living in a state of grace. Gratitude is a central theme in most major religious traditions. According to Greek Orthodox tradition, the role of humankind is to reflect the glory of creation back to the creator. The Russian Orthodox priest Saint John of Kronstadt said, “If I do not feel a sense of joy in God's creation, if I forget to offer the world back to God with thankfulness, I have advanced very little upon the way. I have not yet learned to be truly human. For it is only through thanksgiving that I can become myself.”

Gratitude can be the gateway to grace, animating our life with meaning. “What a wonderful life I've had!” the French writer Colette said. “I only wish I'd realized it sooner.”  Choosing to evolve is about realizing it sooner -- and about manifesting that realization in every aspect of our lives.

Continue Learning about Emotions

Welcome to Sharecare
Welcome to Sharecare
The Sharecare app can help you gather vital health information all in one place—and it goes beyond just numbers, like steps taken and blood pressure. ...
What is a laughter milkshake?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A laughter milkshake is an exercise performed in a laughing yoga class. You laugh while pantomiming ...
How does negative thinking affect my body?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Are you susceptible to an ANTs infestation? ANTs stands for automatic negative thoughts, the tho...
Is Habitual Anger Unhealthy?
Is Habitual Anger Unhealthy?