When are people more likely to experience flow?

Ronald Siegel
Flow refers to the experience of being fully involved in an activity, marked by a sense of concentration and control and a lack of self-consciousness or awareness of time or discomfort.

People consistently say that they prefer their leisure time to working. However, in a landmark study carried out at the University of Chicago by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, distinguished professor of psychology at Claremont Graduate University in Claremont, Calif., flow-producing situations occurred more than three times as often when people were working as in their leisure time. The researchers didn't just count extremely intense flow experiences, but also counted any time that participants scored above their personal average in both the challenge faced and skills being used at the time of sampling. Flow experiences at work occurred at all levels—among managers, clerical staff, and blue-collar workers.

Continue Learning about Emotions

Welcome to Sharecare
Welcome to Sharecare
The Sharecare app can help you gather vital health information all in one place—and it goes beyond just numbers, like steps taken and blood pressure. ...
What should I do if I feel guilty when I am not nice to people?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
In my Food and Feelings Workbook I spend a whole juicy chapter talking about guilt, so if you want t...
How do external events play a role in my mood?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Even with a normal baseline production of neurotransmitters and a normal receptor activity, chronic ...
What Foods Will Help Boost My Mood?
What Foods Will Help Boost My Mood?