How can feeling guilty affect health?

Guilt is fueled by negative thinking. Studies show that thinking negative thoughts increases the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline. While these hormones are great at helping us when we need to avoid danger, stress or immediate trauma, longer-lasting levels make us irritable and restless. Cortisol and adrenaline also increase heart rate, blood pressure and inflammation throughout the body. Learning how to shift away from guilt-ridden thoughts and feelings will significantly improve your emotional and physical well being. Talk therapy is a great treatment to do this.
Let’s get straight to it: Guilt can shorten your life. It weakens your immune system. A study compared those who had high guilt levels with those who had lower guilt levels related to pleasurable activities. They found higher levels of illness-fighting immunoglobulin A levels in those who took pleasure in activities with less guilt.

Guilt also has been shown to increase cortisol levels. Cortisol is a stress hormone that your body makes as part of its “fight or flight” response. It is designed to mobilize our energy stores and activating systems, which may be necessary to fight off a potential threat. However, constant exposure can increase blood pressure and your risk of heart disease, diabetes, depression, and anxiety disorders.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Emotions

Welcome to Sharecare
Welcome to Sharecare
The Sharecare app can help you gather vital health information all in one place—and it goes beyond just numbers, like steps taken and blood pressure. ...
How can I boost my mood naturally?
Brad LammBrad Lamm
These natural ways to boost your mood are simple, but effective: sleeping enough, staying hydrated, ...
How can I learn to be more in touch with my emotions?
Erin Olivo, PhDErin Olivo, PhD
You can learn to be more in touch with your emotions by simply paying more attention to what you are...
What Foods Will Help Boost My Mood?
What Foods Will Help Boost My Mood?