How can I protect my partner from human papillomavirus (HPV)?

Kristine A. Borrison, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Safe sex practices such as using condoms and avoiding multiple partners are the best ways to keep from spreading HPV. Gynecologist Kristine Borrison, MD, of Good Samaritan Hospital explains in this video how to manage symptoms and complications. 
Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
Both male and female partners can be immunized with the Gardasil vaccine to protect them from getting HPV types 6, 11, 16, and 18.  Condoms can reduce (although not completely prevent) transmission of HPV, so condom use is definitely recommended. Direct skin-to-skin contact involving the genital area of an infected person can transmit HPV, so abstain from “dry humping” (genital contact without vaginal or anal penetration) as well as intercourse.
Seductive Delusions: How Everyday People Catch STDs

Anyone can catch a sexually transmitted disease. STDs are widespread in all walks of life, regardless of gender, race, social status, or education. Seduced into complacency by the notion that "it...
Even if you think the warts have gone away, there may be some you can't see. And even after the warts are treated, the HPV virus may remain. Using condoms may reduce your risk of passing on genital warts.
The answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about HPV

Why Parents and Doctors Aren’t Talking About the HPV Vaccine
The human papillomavirus (HPV) is the most commonly transmitted STD in the US, causing cancer in roughly 17,600 women and 9,300 men every year. Luckil...
How can I be tested for the human papillomavirus (HPV)?
National Alliance for Hispanic HealthNational Alliance for Hispanic Health
The greatest risk factor associated with cervical cancer is an infection with some types of the huma...
How effective are the human papillomavirus(HPV) vaccines?
The human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine works very well. A recent study by the CDC showed that the HP...
The Cancers Linked to HPV
The Cancers Linked to HPV