Who invented homeopathy?

The law of similars has been documented since at least the time of Hippocrates (circa 400 B.C.), but it is Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843), a German doctor and chemist, who is credited with founding homeopathy. He tested the truth of the law of similars by using small doses of medicine on himself.

By 1900, about 20% of doctors in the United States were homeopaths, but due to various political and social changes, homeopathy became relatively unknown in the U.S. until recently. There is wider acceptance of homeopathy in such countries as France, Germany, Mexico, Argentina, India and Great Britain. In fact, the family doctor to England's Queen Elizabeth is a homeopathic physician. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that more than 500 million people worldwide practice homeopathy.

Continue Learning about Homeopathy

Why does homeopathy use small doses of diluted substances?
Homeopathy derives from the idea that the human body can heal itself if given the proper stimulus, o...
How popular is the use of homeopathy?
Homeopathy is quite popular in the UK. In fact London, Liverpool, Bristol, Glasgow, and Tunbridge We...
Do I Need a Prescription for Homeopathic Medications?
Is Homeopathy Regulated?
Is Homeopathy Regulated?