What are some health benefits of traditional Thanksgiving foods?

Dr. Peter Bongiorno, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
The actual foods we eat during Thanksgiving have some wonderful health benefits. One favorite of ours is the cranberry. Cranberries are a vaccinium species berry (related to blueberry and lingonberry) that have shown wonderful benefits for protecting the inner lining of our blood vessels for people with heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. They are also a great way to keep bacteria from sticking to the linings of the kidneys and bladder for those prone to urinary tract infections.

Pumpkin and sweet potatoes have fantastic beta-carotenes that give them their orange color. These carotenes have powerful antioxidants that stop fatty acids from oxidizing in our vessels. Fat oxidation contributes to heart disease and inflammation. Corn has natural vitamin E. Turkey has some tryptophan, an amino acid that is a precursor to the feel-good neurotransmitter serotonin, and anything dark green has plenty of minerals, vitamins and fiber.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

Safe Holiday Travel Tips from an ER Doctor
Planning a trip for the holidays? Good for you. But please—be safe. Not to put a damper on the season, but it is one of the most dangerous travel time...
How can I make sure I get family holiday photos?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Appoint each child the role of official "family holiday photographer." You may find that the ph...
Take the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food Swaps
Take the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food SwapsTake the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food SwapsTake the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food SwapsTake the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food Swaps
Your favorite dishes may make GERD symptoms worse.
What Should I Keep In Mind When Eating Over the Holidays?