What can help me feel better after overeating during the holidays?

Exercise can help you feel better after overeating during the holidays. Exercise is medicine. Exercising is a common New Year's resolution because it increases natural endorphin levels and makes people feel better. It decreases depression, helps burn calories and increases metabolism to aid in weight loss. 

Here are a few simple things that can make you feel a lot better after overeating:

• Calcium: Getting too full can lead to heartburn or acid reflux. Calcium helps to stop heartburn by tightening the valve that keeps stomach acid in its place. The most effective preparation is calcium citrate powder. Take 250 mg, dissolved in water, after every meal and at bedtime (for a total daily dose of 1,000 mg). Swallowing calcium pills does not prevent reflux because the calcium is not instantly dissolved.
  • Digestive Enzymes: Digestive enzymes can help break down protein, fiber and other components of food and help decrease distension of the stomach. This can work in as little as a few minutes, reducing that bloated, stuffed feeling and easing digestion. The enzymes should be acid-resistant, so they work in the stomach itself, not in the small intestine. A powdered enzyme preparation (1/2 teaspoon) can be mixed together with the calcium powder above and taken after each meal. Digestive enzymes are available in health food stores and drug stores.
  • Exercise: Take a 30-minute brisk walk daily. Exercise boosts energy and helps you de-stress. It also improves the immune system and facilitates sleep.

These are a few things you can do after you've overindulged and want to start to remedy the mistakes you've made. Your body is capable of repairing itself, but you have to help it a little. You can try these steps for a couple of days, or two weeks, to help get you back on track and speed up the process of healing.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

How to Stay Active During the Holidays
How to Stay Active During the Holidays
The holidays can be stressful—and it’s easy to overindulge in holiday treats—so regular exercise, along with your relaxation techniques, is especially...
How can I restore my energy during the holidays?
Amaris NogueraAmaris Noguera
While external stressors play a big role in our energy levels, what we eat and drink are also closel...
Take the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food Swaps
Take the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food SwapsTake the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food SwapsTake the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food SwapsTake the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food Swaps
Your favorite dishes may make pain and burning worse.
Why Am I Miserable After a Holiday Meal?