When should I seek help if I feel sick during the holidays?

If you feel sick during the holiday season, it is important to recognize the signs early and plan ahead. Often medical offices and clinics will be closed or have reduced office hours during the holidays. Therefore, if you anticipate your symptoms are worsening or you may need a prescription, call your doctor's office early to determine the holiday schedule. If the clinic will be closed for an extended period, it is best to schedule an appointment before the office closes. Many large group clinics will have a doctor on call over the holidays. This is a number provided by the clinic that patients may call for advice. If there is an emergency, it is important to go to the emergency room at the nearest hospital. And always remember during the holiday season to wash your hands!

Scientists suspect that death rates from heart attacks increase at the holidays because people wait too long to get help. Some may attribute their discomfort (which is often mild in the beginning) to indigestion; others may not want to be a bother on the big day.

If you, or someone you are with, are experiencing any symptoms of a heartattack, don’t wait to see if it passes, call 911 and get to the nearest emergency room. 

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

Your Foolproof Plan for a Healthier Holiday
The upcoming winter holidays offer so many opportunities to connect with people, enjoy festive events and restore our spirits. But this time of year a...
How can I avoid binge eating during the holiday season?
Dr. Suzanne R. Steinbaum, DODr. Suzanne R. Steinbaum, DO
To avoid overindulging during the holiday season, try mapping out your holiday season in very specif...
9 Ways Winter Can Hurt Your Health
9 Ways Winter Can Hurt Your Health9 Ways Winter Can Hurt Your Health9 Ways Winter Can Hurt Your Health9 Ways Winter Can Hurt Your Health
Why your skin is flaking, your joints are aching and more.
You’ll Never Guess What Lisa and Dr. Oz’s Worst Dinner Party Memory Is