What is the relationship between the holidays and my health?

The songs of the season paint a romantic picture this time of year. But the reality is that the holidays, with their inevitable stresses, piles of rich food, and glasses of eggnog, can be very bad for your heart. According to a recent study, heart disease related deaths jump 5% this time of year; that’s almost 1,500 deaths each day. In fact, Americans have the most heart attacks on Christmas Day, the day after Christmas, and New Year’s. 
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
The holidays can have a negative impact on your health, both emotionally and physically. For many people, the season can increase stress due to demands on your time and your budget. Relationships can be strained as well. Physically, it can be difficult to maintain exercise programs with all of these demands, and unhealthy eating habits are encouraged with the abundance of rich foods at holiday parties and the workplace.

It is important to minimize stress by planning ahead, creating a budget for gift giving and finding time to exercise. Parking further from stores, taking the stairs, or speed-walking through the mall can help burn calories when time is short. Take healthy snacks with you when shopping so you are not tempted by fast food or sweets. Limiting portion sizes at parties can help to prevent unwanted weight gain -- one strategy is to use a smaller-sized plate.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

Start a Healthy Tradition
Start a Healthy Tradition
‘Tis the season to sing carols, bake cookies—and collect important health information from your family. Yes, you read that right. This year, start a n...
How can I keep my child from overeating during the holidays?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
First and foremost you have to set a good eating example. Second is to avoid temptation. Try to mini...
How to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health Hazards
How to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health HazardsHow to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health HazardsHow to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health HazardsHow to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health Hazards
Don’t let holiday activities and stress put a damper on your spirit this time of year—learn how to prevent eight common holiday health risks.
How to Throw a Party Without Stressing Out