How can I avoid a holiday heart attack?

If Christmas and New Year’s sometimes feel hazardous to your health, well, they actually can be. Research studies have found that more fatal heart attacks occur at Christmas and New Year’s than at any other time of the year. Researchers are not entirely sure why this is true, but it doesn’t seem to be related to cold temperatures, as the effect is also observable in warmer areas of the United States.

Some theorize that more fatal heart attacks occur at Christmas and New Year’s because of the drastic changes in routines that can take place during this time. The following tips may help preserve your heart health during the winter holidays:

• Seek help immediately. If you have heart attack symptoms (chest, jaw, or arm pain; sudden, severe nausea or fatigue, etc.) dial 911 right away. Do not feel embarrassed or concerned about disrupting a gathering with family or friends. Your safety will be far more important to them.
  • Don’t let the fact that you are traveling delay care. Over the holidays, you may be traveling and not know where to seek medical care. Do not delay seeking help for this reason; seconds count when you are having a heart attack. Dial 911, and tell the operator and paramedics that you think you may be having a heart attack.
  • Maintain your diet. It’s okay to indulge a little and enjoy holiday foods. However, do not stray too far from your usual diet. Doing so may increase the amount of saturated fats, cholesterol, and sodium that you consume and may put you at greater risk of a heart attack.
  • Exercise regularly. Exercise is a strong tool for fighting heart disease. And while researchers aren’t sure, they suspect that the many changes in lifestyle routines that take place over the holidays may cause the spike in heart attacks.
  • Drink in moderation. If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation. Typically, the recommendation is for no more than one drink per day for women and two drinks per day for men. Alcohol consumption can affect blood pressure.
  • Manage stress. Stress can increase your risk of a heart attack. Let go of ideas of perfection, relax, and enjoy the holidays. Building in time for yourself can help: take a walk or warm bath, read a book, do breathing exercises for relaxation or meditate.
Turkeys aren't the only ones stressing out on Thanksgiving, and Christmas can get hearts racing, too -- but not necessarily in a good way. Indeed, it is something of a Christmas miracle that Santa did not die long again from a heart attack.

When stress levels go up, heart attacks go up, too -- and it is hard to find a time that is more stressful than the holidays. Holiday-related stress makes Thanksgiving through New Year's the most popular time of year for heart attacks.

During the holidays, people engage in more unhealthy behaviors. They tend to eat more high-fat foods, eat more in general, drink more liquor and smoke more cigarettes.

An estimated 50 percent of the heart attacks that happen in the United States occur during the winter months.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

Skinny Pumpkin Spice Latte
Skinny Pumpkin Spice Latte
How to Prevent Weight Gain Over the Holidays
What Foods Should I Avoid During the Holidays?
What Should I Keep In Mind When Eating Over the Holidays?