How can the holiday turkey be dangerous to my health?

Turkey, a staple at many holiday tables, can harbor the dreadful-sounding Campylobacter jejuni, a species of bacteria that loves nothing more than to fowl up your holiday centerpiece. It can cause serious belly pain, even a week after you've pushed your chair away from the table. Keep these bacteria from showing up at the party by thawing the turkey in the refrigerator and then cooking it to 165 degrees Fahrenheit. The only safe way to check for doneness is to use a meat thermometer. Make sure to clean the thermometer thoroughly between each testing (otherwise, you risk recontamination).
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

How to Survive the Holidays When You Have Social Anxiety
The to-do lists are long, the calendar is full and to make things even more challenging, like 15 million other American adults, you have social anxiet...
How can I improve my sad mood during the holidays?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
If you are having a rough time as the holidays approach, here are some tips to keep your holiday...
What can I feed my baby for a holiday dinner?
Cheryl TallmanCheryl Tallman
Sharing the fabulous flavors of the holidays with your new baby is an experience that you’ll che...
5 Seasonal Starbucks Drinks Made Skinny
5 Seasonal Starbucks Drinks Made Skinny5 Seasonal Starbucks Drinks Made Skinny5 Seasonal Starbucks Drinks Made Skinny5 Seasonal Starbucks Drinks Made Skinny
Easy ways to slim down your favorite winter brew. ‘Tis the season to bundle up and stay warm with a feel-good beverage. As coffee shops across the co...