Advertisement

Hawaii Health Alert: What You Need to Know About Infertility

Hawaii Health Alert: What You Need to Know About Infertility

Getting pregnant can be stressful. Our expert walks us through several common fertility questions.

If you want to have a child, you may be nervous to ask your doctor about infertility. Well-Being Hawaii spoke with Dr. Christopher Huang, an OBGYN, who specializes in reproductive endocrinology and infertility at Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children.

Well-Being Hawaii: Let’s start with one of the most common questions people have about infertility: when is a patient considered infertile?

Dr. Huang: Thank you for highlighting such an important topic for couples wanting to expand their family. A patient is considered infertile if they’ve been unable to get pregnant after one year of trying.

Well-Being Hawaii: What is the most common cause of infertility?

Dr. Huang: The most common issue is age, since egg quality drops as a woman gets older. The highest number of eggs a woman will have is 6 to 7 million, and that’s while she is still in her mother’s womb. During reproductive years a woman has 300-500,000 eggs. On average, a woman loses about 1,000 eggs per month.

Men may not experience age-related infertility issues until after 60 years old.

Well-Being Hawaii: What infertility issues do males and females experience, respectively?

Dr. Huang: When people have trouble conceiving, there’s a 40 percent chance the man is infertile, and a 40 percent chance the woman is. And 20 percent of infertility cases are unexplained.

Male infertility can be caused by low sperm count, which can result from childhood trauma, infections or an undescended testicle. Other factors like concentration, motility and morphology (shape) of a sperm, chronic illnesses (hypertension, diabetes and thyroid problems) and smoking can also affect sperm count.

Female infertility can be caused by issues like closed fallopian tubes, irregular ovulation, heavy bleeding that prevents the egg from implanting, sexually transmitted diseases or endometriosis.

Well-Being Hawaii: Can you talk about what couples can expect during their first meeting with a reproductive endocrinologist?

Dr. Huang: I’m a big believer in educating my patients. When a patient comes into my office—hopefully as a couple—they can expect to sit down with me to review the common causes of infertility, the woman’s medical history and most importantly her menstrual cycle history. We’ll also discuss things like age, chronic diseases, irregular or painful periods, her partner’s history, the different tests they‘ll need to take and next steps.

Well-Being Hawaii: What are the next steps in terms of treatment?

Dr. Huang: First, it’s important to know that in vitro fertilization (IVF) isn’t the only treatment. There are other simple therapies available that are less invasive and less costly. The type of treatment a patient receives is based on their cause of infertility. Your doctor can discuss these options with you.

Well-Being Hawaii: What advice would you give to couples experiencing infertility?

Dr. Huang: There are four things you should know:

  1. Don’t wait! See a doctor if you don’t have a 28-day period cycle (irregular period). This isn’t meant to scare you, but more for you to be aware that you might not be ovulating properly.  
  2. Surgery is rarely the first answer. Your doctor should discuss other simple therapy treatments before talking about surgery.
  3. Infertility is a sensitive and complex issue that should be handled with care and compassion.
  4. Marijuana can affect the sperm and egg quality.

This content originally appeared on Well-Being Hawaii.

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Sherri Okinaga Is a Woman for Women
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Sherri Okinaga Is a Woman for Women
Sherri Okinaga, a vice president and talent development manager for First Hawaiian Bank, believes that great plans can come from chance encounters. A...
Read More
Hawaii Health Alerts: Recognizing the Signs Of A Heart Attack
Hawaii Health Alerts: Recognizing the Signs Of A Heart Attack
A lifelong outrigger canoe paddler, Henry “Kruiser” Kruse can anticipate high surf, dangerous swells and other marine obstacles to safely navigate his...
Read More
The Insider's Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Mediterranean Baked Opah
The Insider's Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Mediterranean Baked Opah
For the second year in a row, U.S. News and World Report ranked the Mediterranean Diet as the Best Diet Overall. The diet emphasizes fruits and vegeta...
Read More
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 6 Ways to Beat the Sleepy Afternoon Blues
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 6 Ways to Beat the Sleepy Afternoon Blues
It’s 1:30pm, your post-lunch food coma is in full swing and there’s still three hours before you can even think about leaving work. Sounds like the af...
Read More