Why is early detection of HIV infrequent in LGBT older adults?

Because many healthcare providers assume older adults don’t require testing and because many lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older adults fear discrimination from the medical community, early HIV detection remains minimal among LGBT elders. While early detection of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) greatly improves the chances of living longer, doctors often fail to perceive older adults at risk for HIV. They neglect to ask about sexual partners and drug use and, as a result, might not administer HIV tests. 

Continue Learning about HIV Testing & Diagnosis

Being Diagnosed With HIV
Being Diagnosed With HIV
In this video, Sean Strub, founder of POZ magazine, takes you back to 1985, a time when healthcare providers knew little about HIV. Learn how far unde...
What happens if I test positive for HIV?
If you test positive on a screening test, you should have another test to confirm that you are d...
Why should I get an HIV test?
People who discover that they have HIV earlier in the course of the disease are less likely to e...
What Was It Like When You First Got Diagnosed with HIV?