If I take PrEP, can I stop using condoms during sex?

No, you should not stop using condoms because you are taking PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis). While PrEP offers a lot of protection against HIV infection when taken daily as directed, it is not 100% effective. Condoms also protect against HIV infection if they are used correctly every time you have sex, but not 100%. Note that PrEP medicines don’t give you any protection from other sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea, chlamydia and hepatitis, but condoms do. So you will get the most protection from HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases if you consistently take PrEP medicine and consistently use condoms during sex.

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

Breaking the Stigma: 13 Essential Facts About HIV/AIDS
In 1981, a group of researchers and scientists published a report in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Morbidity and Mortality Wee...
How can I start PrEP?
If you think you may be at increased risk for HIV, ask your health care provider about PrEP (pre-exp...
What is the rate of incidence for HIV?
About 33.3 million people worldwide are estimated to have HIV. According to the Centers for Disease ...
What Is the Current HIV/AIDS Screening Recommendation?