If I take PrEP, can I stop using condoms during sex?

No, you should not stop using condoms because you are taking PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis). While PrEP offers a lot of protection against HIV infection when taken daily as directed, it is not 100% effective. Condoms also protect against HIV infection if they are used correctly every time you have sex, but not 100%. Note that PrEP medicines don’t give you any protection from other sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea, chlamydia and hepatitis, but condoms do. So you will get the most protection from HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases if you consistently take PrEP medicine and consistently use condoms during sex.

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

Can You Switch HIV Treatments?
Can You Switch HIV Treatments?
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is a chronic but manageable condition—while there is no cure for an HIV infection, there are medications that can s...
Will I be tested for HIV when I donate blood?
Not specifically. You should not donate blood in order to be tested for HIV. Using blood donatio...
What are the risk factors for contracting HIV/AIDS in women?
Here are some factors that put women at risk for HIV. Heterosexual sex puts women at risk for HIV...
Is HIV a Manageable Chronic Disease?
Is HIV a Manageable Chronic Disease?