Can the hepatitis B vaccine cause other medical conditions?

The Institute of Medicine's Immunization Safety Review Committee has examined the evidence regarding the hypothesis that the hepatitis B vaccine causes demyelinating disorders. Evidence of possible biological mechanisms that could produce this effect was weak. Additionally, the committee found that the epidemiological evidence favors rejection of a causal relationship between the hepatitis B vaccine in adults and multiple sclerosis (MS). However, the evidence was inadequate to accept or reject a causal relationship between the hepatitis B vaccine and all other demyelinating conditions. So, there may be a relationship between hepatitis B vaccines and demyelinating disease, but no relationship between the vaccine and MS.

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

You cannot get the hepatitis B virus from having the hepatitis B vaccine. The vaccine is normally given in a series of three to four shots or injections. This series of shots should protect you over the long-term from the hepatitis B virus, maybe even your entire life. All children should have the hepatitis B vaccine and should finish the series of shots by about 18 months of age. If you have any questions about the hepatitis B vaccine, talk with your doctor or healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Hepatitis B Vaccine

Why do I need the hepatitis B vaccine?
The hepatitis B virus causes inflammation of the liver and can trigger other health issues. Chro...
What side effects are common with the hepatitis vaccine?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The most common side effect of vaccination is soreness and swelling in the area that the shot was in...
What should I know about the hepatitis B vaccine before receiving it?
Hepatitis A vaccine Before getting the hepatitis A vaccine, you should know some important informati...
Can I get the hepatitis B vaccine if I'm allergic to baker's yeast?
If you have a life-threatening allergy to baker's yeast or any other ingredient in the hepatitis...