Who is most affected by a hematoma?

Older people and people taking certain medications and supplements are most affected by hematoma. As you age, the skin begins to thin reducing the protective cushion allowing simple bumps to have a greater impact. Also, blood vessels become fragile as you age and rupture more easily when injured. If you take medications to thin the blood and prevent clots for certain illnesses, there is a higher incidence of hematoma. Also, people who take dietary supplements, like fish oil and ginkgo, experience a higher incidence of hematoma, because these supplements act like natural blood thinners.

Continue Learning about Hematoma

How can I treat skier's toe?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
You can treat skier's toe quickly if you head to a clinic within hours or a day of noticing the ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hematoma?
Talk to your doctor if you experience extreme pain in the location of the hematoma. The pain may be ...
Are there alternative treatments for a hematoma?
There are alternative treatments for hematoma. You can treat a hematoma at home by applying cold, el...
What are the treatment options for a hematoma?
A hematoma can be treated at home by following several easy techniques. Apply a cold compress shortl...