Does a hematoma affect children differently than adults?

A hematoma does not affect children differently than adults. Older adults, however, are more prone to developing a hematoma. As capillaries age, they become fragile and prone to rupture after a bump or crash. The skin of an older person is also thinner and does not offer the cushion needed to protect the underlying blood vessels from injury. Blood thinning medications and dietary supplements, like fish oil and ginkgo, which naturally cause the blood to thin can increase your chance of developing a hematoma. Thinned blood flows more easily allowing a hematoma to develop. Corticosteroid medications cause skin to thin reducing the cushion needed to prevent injury.

Continue Learning about Hematoma

How can I treat skier's toe?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
You can treat skier's toe quickly if you head to a clinic within hours or a day of noticing the ...
Is a hematoma serious?
A hematoma is seldom serious. A hematoma results from an injury that causes blood vessels to rupture...
How is a hematoma diagnosed?
A hematoma is diagnosed based on classic symptoms of localized skin discoloration, pain, and swellin...
How can I avoid getting skier's toe?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Proper boot fit is the key to avoiding skier's toe. If your boots are too large, your foot will slid...