A Answers (2)
Do the following to prevent heart disease:
- Keep a healthy diet. Follow a plan that restricts consumption of saturated fats, trans fat, cholesterol and added sugars. Make sure your diet contains plenty of fruits and vegetables, fiber-rich whole grains, fish, nuts, legumes and seeds. Choose fat-free and low-fat dairy products and lean meats and poultry. Limit consumption of beverages with added sugar.
- Get your exercise. Studies have shown that even a daily brisk walk can have positive effects on your heart health. Muscle-strengthening activities are also recommended.
Heart disease is still the leading cause of death in Americans, but we can decrease its incidence with a healthy lifestyle and diet. Here are seven recommendations from the American Heart Association to remain heart-healthy as you age:
- Eat a healthy diet
- Stop smoking
- Exercise regularly
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Manage your blood pressure
- Know your cholesterol scores
- Manage your blood sugar
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.