What is sudden cardiac arrest?

Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) happens when the heart’s electrical system, which controls heart rate and rhythm, malfunctions. The heart suddenly stops beating, and blood can no longer reach the brain and other vital organs.

SCA is one of the leading causes of death in the United States.

Sudden cardiac arrest occurs when the heart suddenly stops beating normally because of abnormal electrical activity of the heart. Sudden cardiac arrest can happen to anyone, anytime without warning but usually occurs in adults.

Sudden cardiac arrest happens when the heart stops pumping like it's supposed to, and there's no blood flow to vital organs.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

Heart Valve Replacement: What Are My Options?
Some people may hear the words “valve replacement” and automatically assume it means open heart surgery. This misconception could be one reason why pe...
Who is at risk of having severe aortic stenosis?
St. Mark's HospitalSt. Mark's Hospital
There are two groups of people who are at risk of having severe aortic stenosis: older patients and ...
6 Unexpected Effects of Heart Disease
6 Unexpected Effects of Heart Disease6 Unexpected Effects of Heart Disease6 Unexpected Effects of Heart Disease6 Unexpected Effects of Heart Disease
This common disease can hurt much more than your physical health. Heart disease is so much more than a physical condition—it can interfere with your p...
How Does a Coronary Calcium Scan Work?
How Does a Coronary Calcium Scan Work?