Is watchful waiting (WW) safe for people with asymptomatic aortic stenosis?

Watchful waiting (WW) may be safe for people with asymptomatic aortic stenosis for up to one year. But for people with severe aortic stenosis, even if they have no symptoms, aortic valve replacement (AVR) is associated with higher survival whether WW or AVR is initial treatment. Traditionally, aortic valve replacement (AVR) for severe but asymptomatic aortic stenosis is delayed until symptoms develop. The strategy of early AVR could potentially improve survival in people with severe aortic stenosis who have no symptoms.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

Heart Disease Topics to Discuss with Your Doctor
How's your heart health? If you struggle with heart or blood vessel disease, you have a higher risk for other conditions, such as diabetes, high blood...
How can I prevent heart disease and stroke?
Eastside Medical CenterEastside Medical Center
I can prevent heart disease and strokes by modifying my risk factors including avoiding tobacco, kee...
9 Heart-Healthy Rules to Live By
9 Heart-Healthy Rules to Live By9 Heart-Healthy Rules to Live By9 Heart-Healthy Rules to Live By9 Heart-Healthy Rules to Live By
Put these practices into place and you could lower your risk of cardiovascular disease.
What Is the Best Way to Prevent Heart Disease?