How should I exercise if I have heart disease?

Research finds that even moderate amounts of physical activity are associated with lower death rates from coronary heart disease. The 2011 American Heart Association Guidelines recommend at least 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise or 75 minutes per week of vigorous exercise or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity. If you need to lose weight or maintain weight loss, the recommendation rises to 60 to 90 minutes of moderate exercise on most, preferably all, days of the week. However, if you have severe coronary heart disease (CHD), you may have to restrict your exercise somewhat, so check with your healthcare professional to find out what kinds and amounts of exercise are best for you.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

why does a doctor use cardiac computed tomography ?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Today, there are two major forms of cardiac computed tomography. The first one is called a calcium s...
what are the risk factors for coronary artery disease ?
A risk of coronary artery disease can be diagnosed through routine checkups. A blood test can indica...
how does obesity affect the body ?
how does obesity affect the body ?
what factors are important to stay heart healthy ?